REDES – Research & Education in Design
REDES seeks to connect ongoing master’s and doctoral studies that focus on teaching and research in Design with the research that is done by the advisors of these projects and that deal with their own teaching and research practice. In this way, the teaching and research of Design in its contents, methodologies and didactics is constantly questioned and a permanent and thorough evaluation is made.
The evaluation is based on empirical studies, surveys and interviews, and focusses on teaching/learning in Design including teaching of research in Design, its themes, framework, methodologies and results. The group will also seek to diagnose and propose solutions for a consistent relationship between the teaching cycles and between academia and society.
a) To carry out empirical studies on teaching and research of the design in Portugal;
b) To explore methodologies and didactics of design adequate to the challenges of the 21th Century;
c) Articulate the generation of design knowledge (research) with its teaching;
d) Generate innovative content in design education;
e) Disseminate results on the studies produced by proposing ways of acting in the Academy and in its relationship with society;
f) Articulate the production of knowledge in this area in the three cycles promoting the interrelation between the different agents and themes.
– Mapping of research carried out in this area, both in the Faculty of Architecture and abroad;
– Classification of the information / knowledge gathered in order to define the typology of the topic, its level of intervention and how it can be studied and related in order to produce applicable knowledge;
– Identification of new research to be carried out (at master’s and doctoral levels) based on the critical analysis of existing knowledge (master’s and doctoral theses, among others);
– Critically synthesize contents of the area and disseminate them;
– Create materials to support design thinking and action in the areas of teaching and research.